PHOENIX — A Mohave County legislator on Thursday introduced a bill to establish a veterans home facility in the county.

Sen. Sonny Borrelli, whose 5th District includes Mohave and La Paz counties, introduced SB 1112. Borrelli served in the U.S. Marine Corps for more than 20 years and said he understands the struggles of our veterans and strives to promote and address their needs on the legislative level.

“The first cost of our freedom is to take care of our veterans,” Borrelli said. “I will do everything I can to take care of those who served our country.”

If it’s signed into law, the state would cover 35% of the cost of building the home, while the federal government would be responsible for funding the remaining 65% and funding the operation costs. This will create jobs and serve as an economic driver in his county while helping our veterans.

Veterans homes are nursing and rehabilitative care facilities whose goal is to maintain veterans’ highest practicable physical, mental and psychosocial well-being. Staff provides skilled nursing care to veterans. Care includes nursing, therapeutic recreation, and social services.

“We are the freest and most prosperous country in the world because of our veterans,” said 5th District Rep. Leo Biasiucci, who is co-sponsoring the bill. “These brave men and women risked their lives for this country, and I am happy to do whatever I can to help them.”

Mohave County has one of the highest rates of veteran populations in the state. There are veterans homes in Phoenix and Tucson, and two more are being built in Yuma and Flagstaff. Once a feasibility study is concluded for the Northwest Region, if Borrelli’s bill becomes law, experts will determine whether the home is built in Kingman, Bullhead City or Lake Havasu City.

(1) comment

countryboy

A certainly great proposal. Mohave county is almost forgotten by the rest of the state. We need to see more of this kind of progress here or there will be no more progress. Of course I would like to see it built in Lake Havasu City or in some undeveloped area along I 40 that is approximately equal distance between the 3 cities ( as near as possible ). I have a friend in town that I am now seeing first hand how tough it is to find a place that can give him the care and support needed. A hearty BooYaa to our rep's for this effort.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.