BULLHEAD CITY — “Stayin’ Alive” is more than just a song.
Not only does the Bee Gees’ 1978 hit have the perfect tempo for performing hands-only CPR, but its title fit the theme of Saturday’s Fire Prevention and Life Safety Fair.
The fair at Bullhead Community Park was hosted by the Bullhead City Fire Department, but numerous other groups and agencies were on hand to talk about staying alive. Visitors found information on topics including power safety, proper car-seat installation, flash floods and emergency preparedness.
“I actually learned quite a bit,” said Anna Pruett, of Bullhead City. “Even having (previously) learned some of this stuff, it was nice to have a refresher.”
Pruett went to the fair with her daughter, Anjila. Anjila, 3, ran through the booths, most of which shared safety information in a child-friendly manner.
Southwest Gas Corp. representatives hosted
CareFlight Demonstration: Bullhead City firefighters Kenny Read, left, and Ricky Arriaga load Maxamus Livermore onto a CareFlight helicopter Saturday during the Fire Prevention and Life Safety Fair. The flight was the concluding act of a vehicle extrication at the fair. Also pictured are flight nurse Heather Davis and flight paramedic Chris Schmidt.
a digging activity, in which children could find buried gas lines. Southwest’s Louie Silva told each child that should she dig and find a line, she should contact her parents and let them call the utility.
Silva said the company also was spreading the message to “dial 811 before you dig.”
Amy Arias, 7, went 4-for-4 at a booth at which she was to guess among similar-looking liquids which were safe to drink and which were poisons. Her younger brother, Eric, made one incorrect guess.
Their father, Emmanuel Arias, said he thought the fair was impressive in the advice available.
“Everything from safety in the home to outdoors to safety out in the river,” he said.
Bullhead City Community Emergency Response Team members offered stickers reading “Turn Around, don’t drown.”
Vice president Dale Weikel said the stickers refer to not trying to cross running water during a flesh flood.
“You never can tell what depth it is,” Weikel said. “We lost somebody last week who tried to cross what looked like a peaceful little stream. He ended up drowning.”
There were prizes to be won at the Batteries Plus Bulbs booth, but one had to answer a safety question before spinning a wheel that determined one’s prize.
BHCFD spokeswoman Lori Viles said early rains failed to put a damper on the event.
“We were a little worried, she said. “But the community has come out. We’re all dried off and it’s a wonderful day.”
Viles said the fair allows interaction between first responders and community members in a friendly setting.
“Usually when we see people, they’re having a really bad day,” she said.
Most booths offered candy or small gifts to children, and anyone who had his card marked at every booth could show them and get a snack and a drink.
Cheyenne Finley, 11, came as a volunteer with her Builders Club, and tried her hands at CPR.
“It was really hard to do,” she said. “I couldn’t even get it to turn on.”